Nicolas Cage and Werner Herzog may seem like a weird combination. Yet in Bad Lieutenant: Port of Call New Orleans, these two cinematic eccentrics combine their talents to make one brilliant film. The story follows a police lieutenant’s plunge into drug-addled abandon when he is ordered to find the killers of a Senegalese family. While this may seem like a serious film, the tone of the film is so ridiculous that it has to be an extremely dark comedy. Cage’s performance as the arguably insane lieutenant is the best he has done in awhile, for it is so uniquely nuanced and styled that it makes every scene interesting and enjoyable. Herzog’s Bad Lieutenant: Port of Call New Orleans is also may be one of the best of his career, although it is certainly the strangest.
Nice review. It sounds intreguing just from this short description.
ReplyDeleteNice. Very interesting to see you not use some reference to Abel Ferrara's Bad Lieutenant. I know I was a little confused when it first came out and didn't know if it had some connection to the other film.
ReplyDeleteDefinitely want to see this now, the poster and title don't make me want to see it, but your writing does.
ReplyDeleteNever seen this but maybe I will now, one night when I have had too much wine and there is nothing better to do with my time. Good review
ReplyDeleteAwesome description and analysis of Nic Cage's character and acting chops. Very well-written
ReplyDelete